The 6th Advanced Learners Oxford Dictionary defines focus as ‘to give attention, effort etc. to one particular subject, situation or person rather than another’. But the noun focus goes beyond just giving attention to one thing. It is one of the principles in succeeding in whatever you do.
I define focus as setting your mind and heart on a goal, compelling the body into action to express concern for the goal no matter the hindrances.
Focus however is the most essential tool in the achievement of your dream plan.
FACTORS TO HELP YOU FOCUS
There are certain factors that come to play, whenever you want to stay focus in whatever you. These are;
- Set a goal
A goal gives you a reason(s) to work and working helps you to achieve your goal. The first line in my definition of focus says “setting your mind and heart on a goal”. The ONLY main reason for you to focus on whatever you do is to accomplish a goal. What is a Goal? A goal is something you hope to achieve. In that case, whatever you want to have or do or become is a goal. A goal can be achieved by two ways, (1) Short term (2) Long term.
- Short Term; it is a plan that will enable you to achieve your goal(s) not within a lengthy period of time. This type of plan can make you realize your goal(s) quickly. They can be achieved within the next immediate future. Examples a day, week or month(s).
- Long Term; it is a plan that have effect over a long period of time in obtaining your goal(s). Some goals are to be realized over a long period of time. They become evident after a relatively extended period of time. Examples a year, or years.
The first step to focus is to set a goal. In whatever you find yourself doing, set a goal, because your goal will give you reason(s) to continue. When you feel like giving up in what you do, remember why you started in the first place; to accomplish your goal.
- Have a conviction
A conviction is a held belief in something. It can also be defined as the feeling of believing something strongly and of being sure about it. This factor really helps you to be sure about the goal you want to pursue. Sometimes certain people are not too sure about what they hope to achieve. The conviction factor asks the following questions;
- Is it really what you want to achieve?
- Do you see yourself achieving that goal?
- Do you really believe you can achieve it?
- What will you do, if you fail to achieve it?
- Will you try over and over again?
If you are able to answer these questions correctly, then be convinced about what you are doing. You must have a clear conscience about what you hope to attain. Believing with your heart and mind and professing with your mouth leads to total conviction.
- Express Concern
This factor is the ACTION factor. As the saying goes, “one cannot take medicine for a sick person”. At this stage, you must begin to take steps that will lead you to the fulfilment of your dream. You must start working something out to make your dream be a reality not just an imagination. A target set, is a target to be achieved. A personal goal set by you cannot be achieved by another person. To be able to accomplish something, isn’t just about been convicted to it, but making an outward action. Failures fail because they decide to do nothing about what they create. Winners always win because whenever they create, they make.
Take steps that will make your creativity a reality. And also note, taking steps is important, but knowing where you are taking the steps to is probably more important.
Hindrance is either a person or a thing that makes it more difficult for somebody or something to happen. Hindrances come your way in other not to make you achieve your objectives.
There are two things that can be a hindrance to you when focusing; each of them can hold you back from attaining your goal.
- Mixed-up Goals; these are other goals that will interest you to achieve even as you working on a current goal. When it happens this way, you easily get confuse as to whether you should forgo the one in progress and settle for the new one or vice versa. Leaving you with a puzzle to solve and might mistaking one thing for another. Mixed-up goals can make it more difficult to achieve the purpose of your maiden plan. If something like this happens, apply “scale of preference”. Scale of preference is the listing of the needs of one according to the order of importance.
- Life matters; in the pursuit of your dream, certain other things will come along to make it more difficult to attain your purpose. Examples hardship, depression, unforeseen and unknown events, marriage etc.
NB; NO PAIN, NO GAIN. NO CROSS, NO CROWN.
These are the four factors that affect your focusing.
With the help of this teaching I hope you will be able to focus in whatever you do or are doing.